ARCH400 - Project 2A: Threshold

From the assignment sheet:
The model will now be assigned a vertical orientation, a primary façade, a secondary façade, and a threshold. Through a careful study of the 1.C Model and a thoughtful reflection on each individual’s conceptual agenda, students will identify a relationship between the ground and their model. In doing so,the model will transform from being an abstract study of relationships to a scalar, structural object. The primary façade and the primary threshold will evolve from iterations that examine the location, scale, and other essential characteristics of the threshold.
The process for this assignment was quite laid back. We had a single desk critique then a casual pin up, and my original idea for my threshold was completely thrown out after I received feedback.


My original idea was to use a clear axis of movement to bring visitors into my cube. This opening was already well defined and created a clear path from entry to exit. Choosing this side also allowed me to maintain positive aspects of my cube from Project 1.

The one drawback that I found to my choice was that one side of my cube was still incredibly transparent, and there was also a lack of circulation for those experiencing the cube. While the critic understood my worries, he commented that having such an open cube isn't necessarily a bad idea. He said that my cube had an "unfinished" look to it in a sense that if my cube was a real building it would appear to only have the structural elements barely in place while the finishes were nonexistent. He found this to be a positive aspect, and it was something that I decided to work with as Project 2 progressed.


I switched my primary and secondary facades to created a new relationship with each other. The vertical cut out was a suggestion from the critics at the end of Project 1, and it became an essential element as we moved into Project 2B.

Comments